The East of Saigon will be a developed city in the future. This area (Thu Duc, District 9 and District 2) has the highest technology application rate, the highest level of training and scientific research in the country, a new urban area, and an international financial center.
These are the influencing factors to create a new growth zone in the coming time.
At the meeting of the Government Party Affairs Committee with the Standing Board of the Ho Chi Minh City Party Committee to comment on the draft political report of the recent Ho Chi Minh City Party Congress for the 2020-2025 term, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc supported households 4 projects on the new development model of Ho Chi Minh City, including the project of establishing Thu Duc City (the eastern city of Ho Chi Minh City).
“The success of this urban area will add another mark in the creative journey in the more than 300-year history of Ho Chi Minh City” – Dr. Truong Minh Huy Vu, director of the Software Technology Park, National University of Ho Chi Minh City .HCM, the unit assigned to advise the National University on the project of the city east of Saigon, shared.
Dr. Truong Minh Huy Vu, Director of Software Technology Park (ITP), Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City
Mr. Vu said: “The city east of Saigon with the goal of helping to transform and elevate the economy of Ho Chi Minh City, focusing on the knowledge economy, high technology and creating momentum for the whole Southeast region” .
Right idea, right action at the right time
* The eastern urban area will mark another milestone in the creative journey of HCMC for more than 300 years. What does that mean, sir?
– In recent years, the theories and development models in the world all talk about the concentration or convergence of knowledge that will promote productivity. In production, there is a concept of a cluster, in industry there is a concept of a value chain.
All have in common about visualizing a space shared by a group of members pursuing a goal. These groups can be mutually supportive or competitive. The phenomenon of “Buy with friends, sell with wards” is the driving force behind creativity.
Looking at the development history of Ho Chi Minh City, we see this very clearly. From Ho Chi Minh City’s original ideas about “breaking the fence” to remove barriers, to the idea and building of specialized areas of convergence. Tan Thuan Export Processing Zone, Quang Trung Software Park, Ho Chi Minh City Hi-Tech Park are typical examples.
The above models of technology clusters and thematic clusters promote necessary support services and partners in the value chain. It is also an important playground for technology transfer, learning process, standardizing management processes and promoting the quality of labor from foreign-invested enterprises to domestic companies and manufacturers. .
With the above background, Ho Chi Minh City set out to build a creative urban area in the east is the right idea and the right action at the right time.
* Why the east and not other areas?
– The eastern area of Ho Chi Minh City including District 2, Thu Duc District and District 9 converges the most conditions for ideal success. Especially available here Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City and Hi-Tech Park Ho Chi Minh City, in which the National University urban area has 7 training institutions of member schools and 27 units of scientific research, technology transfer and affiliated services.
Ho Chi Minh City National University, one of the development centers of Thu Duc New City
Besides, it is impossible not to mention the University of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Technical Education, Vietnam-Germany University, or the neighboring University of Physical Education and Sports. Hi-Tech Park is located in District 9 with technology corporations (Intel, Nidec, Samsung, Jabil), with the large participation of domestic and foreign experts. The above premises are very important for HCMC to calculate the feasibility in this area.
* Can you imagine what the 6 key areas of the eastern urban area will look like in the future?
– It is difficult to talk about the future appearance of the 6 innovation hubs because no one can say where the future will go, especially the speed of technology development. In the two areas of the National University and the High-Tech Park, there is creativity, but it is still necessary to enhance the high interaction within the area, because the space is still divided and lacks interactive infrastructure.
To solve these problems, Ho Chi Minh City needs to continue to focus on investing in traffic connections and building shared spaces between the two. It can be a road connecting traffic between two zones, a pedestrian tunnel, an overpass… to create traffic connecting the area and between the two zones in the most convenient way.
It can also be the dining, commercial, event areas… for businesses, experts, lecturers, students… of the two zones to interact with each other. The high interaction also lies in the cooperation programs promoted by the State budget. Workshops, scientific events, exhibitions, startup competitions, job fairs are common interactive spaces that create collaboration, promote debate, and exchange different ways to increase productivity.
Blogs and photos: Quote from Tuoi Tre Newspaper